In both above and below pic you can see the black marks on her wood. No matter what I used the black did not come off. It is only on half the drive wheel and that is where the edge is worn off. I believe this wheel was set too close to a fire and she got terribly singed and blackened. Poor thing.
I did the best I could with her. She got a couple coats of Danish oil and a beeswax type of finish. I also had to carefully file a new groove for the drive band where the edge of the drive wheel was worn down, otherwise the drive band would come off while spinning.
She's finished (above and below pics) and spins beautifully :-)
Here you can see some grey alpaca I spun on her. You can also see the blackened areas that are only on the one side. My lighter coloured and signed Quebec wheel will be refinished next.
This is a new blend I am working on. I carded Bombyx silk, Rose Grey cria and black French Angora on my PG Fancicard.
Very soft. I luv it so much I will spin at least 150 grams of this as a fingering two ply. It will be great for lace or maybe a matching hat and glove set. Yes of course I have been knitting up a storm too. Some of it is for a gift for a blog reader (so I can't show it) plus I am test knitting a couple new designs for Hubbert Farms yarn and pattern kits. No I am not the designer, she is a local lady and will soon have some of her designs up on Ravelry. The designs I am test knitting will only be available as a kit with Hubbert Farms yarns.